Thursday 4 January 2007

Artist on the edge

When I write I do not wish to impose or even suggest an ideology. I wish to give your mind a rest so that the words frame my paintings, so do not expect great or even mediocre philosophy.

Budda said that the truth can not be spoken maybe that's why I paint. A creative person is nearly always a rebel and tends to know the difference between the intelegent and mearly intellectual and a by product of creativity is happiness. You should avoide any painter who takes himself seriously especially a portrait painter because if you find his work flatterning it is not honest. Many have made an art of flattery itself but I can't do that.

As well as that I find that I can't lean on the foundations of tradition but must try to escape it while at the same time honoring its achivements. I have seen what happens when we set out to distroy traditions in the China of the cultural revolution, the Roumania of Ceausescu or the killing fiels of Cambodia under Pol Pot. Let us not be worshipers of or tyranised by our past.

With this in mind I hope you find what I do interesting and relaxing.

By the way I am Irish but live on the edge of Europe by the sea in Brittany, in the city of Saint-Malo. The light here sings to me.

No comments: