Thursday 22 February 2007

Birmingham oh Birmingham


Just in the door literally from a 5 day trip to the megalopolis of Birmingham where I saw great things, to be precise we, (my daughter Louise, my wife Colette and myself that is) spend some time in my sisters house in Solihull from where we made forays into the hinterland to visit the birthplace of Shakespeare in Stratford upon Avon amongst other place. The weather while bright was too cold for me to ply my watercolours thus I came back with photographic memories only.

The scones with jam and clotted cream were good but not as good as those from Cornwall. My sister insisted on having a family Christmas on the Saturday 17 February and had my nephew Kevin and family as well as my niece and her Richard de Dejay (sounds almost french). Tony my first Cousin and Wife compleated the picture. The evening was a sucess with my sister trying to kill us all with her splendid cooking and baking. It will certainly take me a week to loose the kilos attained while a guest in Solihull.


I'm amazed at the relative discipline of our Anglish neighbours as they Q'ed, the friendliness while walking in the park and the relative absence of 'dog shit' on the streets. The driving on the moterways was civilised, painless, polite and efficient. The return to France revealed Presidential candidates worthy of a comedy sketch, tons of 'Dog shit' on the streets and morose people with the sunshine gone out of their hearts (at least for the moment). I hope things get better soon and that the winter/election desperation depression is shrugged off as quickly as possible. Live and let live.

No comments: