Tuesday 27 February 2007

Nancy O'Brien RIP

Seldom do we come into contact with someone who exudes affection, good humour and patience for a short time but over an entire lifetime it is practially unknown. Nancy was one of those people, never a cross word or a bad tempered jest. My daughter Lucy asked me about her relationship to me and it took me some time to explain and what I said is not even adequate. Nancy was a second mother to me. Someone who was always there, ready to listen and help, she often spoiled me and took my defence when I did wrong. A song was never far from her lips and even now I an hear her singing 'Sean South from Garryowen', or 'The Galway shawl'.

She was the most gentle of ladies and will always be with me, I know that she is up there now looking down and wondering what all the fuss is for as her funeral is planned. No doubt she will enjoy the wake much more than the funeral service and I will be surprised if the above mentioned songs don't get a tearful airing.

No comments: